- sav'age, adj.
- 2. wild; untamed; fierce
- au'ral, adj.
- 1. relating to the ear
- hot'bed, n.
- 1. a bed of earth heated artificially...for growing plants
in a cool or temperate environment...in a figurative sense,
any place that fosters rapid growth or development
- Savage Aural Hotbed, grp.
- 1. a place where wild sounds grow
- 2. four people who can't seem to use containers, auto
parts or power tools in the intended manner
- "...the sound of steel and rust, oil drums and hubcaps,
screeches, sparks, grinders and gears finding new fury and energy...
It's also fun, it makes you smile to see a man make music with an
- — Scott Simon, Weekend Edition, National Public Radio
- "Blasts us into the next stratosphere, combining raw and
raucous sound and performance"
- — John Killacky, Curator Performing Arts,
Walker Art Center
- "...maddened drumming...that set the whole room throbbing
like a pinched artery..."
- — Karen Wineger, Minneapolis
- "...Even a smoldering power-tool became a fitting prop
for these industrial rhythm-a-tists. Come watch as they abuse oil
drums, sheet metal, and PVC tubing in a most immacualte
- — Keith Goetzman, Twin Cities Reader
Savage Aural Hotbed creates their compelling sound using conventional
and "found object" percussion instruments, bass guitar,
electronically modified horns and vocals, and power tools. With
up to four people drumming, they provide visual, as well as aural
excitement with their high energy rhythms, flailing arms, and flying
The precise, percussive sound of Savage Aural Hotbed is inspired
by many influences, most notably Japanese
drumming, and the cutting-edge (sometimes literally, they use saws
and grinders on stage) innovation of
Other influences include diverse styles such as modern minimalist,
and many ethnic styles.